With an increase in social networking sites it can be so easy to let friends take a silly photo and then post it for a laugh online. However what one person may see as a joke might be really upsetting for another. Within a very short space of time it could go viral/worldwide.
To keep your child safe online remind them of these tips;
- Never give out personal information, such as full name, address, date of birth, where you are going. This can easily be shared through friends of a friend of a friend...people you don't know or trust.
- Would you let anyone else use your toothbrush? NO! So don't share a password.
- Think before you send a message about yourself or anyone else. Is it something you would say or share with your parents or even grandparents, if not then don't share it online, it won't take long for it to be shared with everyone you know!
- Before sharing a photo or information ask permission, it might feel like a joke but it can be equally upsetting.
- Sometimes you may receive a nasty text or email - tell an adult (at home or at school) they can help to block the person sending them.