The distinctive contribution of music to the curriculum
The aims of music and how these contribute to the school’s aims
- To foster children’s sensitivity to, and their understanding and enjoyment of, music, through an active involvement in listening, performing and composing and appraising.
- To enable all children to realise their individual creative potential and to express themselves through music.
- To enable children to acquire and develop the musical skills involved in performing, composing, listening and appraising.
- To extend and develop children’s awareness and understanding of traditions, idioms and music styles from a variety of cultures, times and places.
- To enable children to experience fulfilment which derives from striving for the highest possible artistic and technical standards within any style of musical expression.
- To develop, through music, skills which contribute to learning across the curriculum.
- To contribute to the community and the ethos that is the school.