The new Counter Terrorism and Security Act 2015 places a legal duty on public bodies (including schools) to ‘have due regard to the need to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism’. The legal duty is backed by statutory guidance that sets a range of expectations on schools. The statutory guidance will be monitored via existing inspection procedures, such as OfSTED.
Therefore we are duty bound to:
- Teach a broad and balanced curriculum.
- Promote fundamental British values.
- Assess the risk of pupils being drawn into terrorism and support for extremism.
- Train key staff to give them the knowledge and confidence to identify children at risk.
- Protect children from terrorist and extremist material when accessing the Internet at school.
- Ensure robust safeguarding policies are in place to identify children at risk, intervene and refer pupils as appropriate.
Please click here for the Government Prevent guidance.