Home Page

Wembury Football Tournament

After much deliberation over the unpredictable British weather, we decided to go ahead with our KS2 football tournament on Friday. There were blue skies and the sun was shining in the morning as we welcomed 9 other schools from around Plymouth, with a total of 16 teams, for our second summer football tournament. The trophy and medals were laid out on the table, the fixtures were printed and we were ready to go. Right on schedule, we started the first group matches at 09:35 with a convincing win and an unlucky defeat for our two teams. Our Year 6 helpers were armed with a pencil and clip board to keep track of the scores and work with the referees to keep the fixtures flowing; they did a superb job. There were 4 groups of 4 teams and, despite seeing lots of desire to win, matches were played in a great spirit, with excellent attitudes from all children and respect shown for each other and the referees.


There was a brilliant standard of football on show, meaning it was a tough challenge to make it through to the knockout rounds. Working out who was through to the quarter finals was a straightforward task until we got to second place in group 4. Incredibly, St Paul’s and Hooe A had identical results in their group matches (a 1-1 draw, a 4-1 win and a 3-0 defeat). This meant that their points, goal difference, goals for AND result between the two teams (the 1-1 draw) were also identical. After checking the rules, it had to be decided by a penalty shoot-out! If that wasn’t enough drama for one morning, the penalty shoot-out gave us even more! Both teams took 5 penalties each and the score was level. It went to sudden death. After another TEN penalties for each side, we finally managed to separate these two extremely equal teams. It was unfortunately a cruel way for St Paul’s to leave the tournament. On the other hand, Hooe were relieved to finally overcome them and progress to the quarter finals. Joining them in the quarter finals was Wembury, Oreston, Hooe B, Montpelier A and B, Bickleigh Down and St Andrew’s.


By this time, the rain had arrived and the ‘light showers’ were a little heavier than we expected. However, with hot drinks and biscuits available, we kept going with the fixtures and after some brilliant football, we reached the semi-final stage, with both Montpelier teams joining Wembury and St Andrews. We followed up our 1-0 quarter final win against Oreston with another hard-fought 1-0 win vs Montpelier B in the semis. Finally, with runners up medals secured, we took to the pitch for the final vs Montpelier A. The sun shone once again and so did the Wembury performance; the boys seemed to save their best performance until last. We scored two quick goals before conceding almost immediately and then fighting back to regain our two goal lead. Montpelier replied with their second goal but excellent team work and determined defending meant we held on to our lead and won comfortably in the end. Considering the quality of players on show at this event, and the size of some of the schools competing, the boys played exceptionally well and should be proud of themselves. They were all excellent ambassadors for the school.


We would also like to thank everyone that helped to organise and run the event and those supporting the players. Thank you to all schools that attended: Oreston, Cathedral, Hooe, Pilgrim, Montpelier, Bickleigh Down, Chaddlewood, St Andrew’s and St Paul’s. Well done to all players involved. We owe a big thank you to the coaches from Plymouth Argyle for refereeing matches and providing goals, footballs and medals. If you didn’t attend the event, check out the fantastic pictures below, taken by Penny Cross from The Herald. Look out for an article about the tournament which will hopefully appear in The Herald soon! Thank you very much for this, Penny. Finally, we look forward to seeing some schools involved today, in the league that we are in the final stages of setting up, which will begin in September. There will be more on this to follow.



Learning for Life